There are cold weather people and there are warm weather people. You’ll find this writer planted firmly in the latter category (in a beach chair with sunscreen and an umbrella-clad cocktail close at hand).
That’s why, not even one full month into this seemingly endless season of cold and darkness, I find myself daydreaming of a winter escape.
If you’re like me, planning a trip to a climate warmer than the one you currently reside in can be the perfect antidote to the winter blues.
Read on to find some regionally appropriate warm weather escapes for whichever polar vortex you currently call home. And, if you’re the type that’s craving snow and slopes, you can hop an early lift here.
Sun & Sports
Like your sun with a side of sports? Look no further than Spring Training. Just don’t forget your Raybans.
Let your baseball team allegiances guide you to either Arizona or Florida this year’s annual spring training starting in March and running through April.
- Mesa, Arizona is where the teams in The Cactus League play. Visitors can not only see their favorite A’s, Sox and Cubs players, they can also head out to the desert for some hiking or pamper themselves at one of the many spas in the greater Phoenix area.
- Florida is where East Coasters can see their favorite Yankee’s, Braves and Phillies play in The Grapefruit League. Games are spread out in cities throughout the state so pick your side of the everglades and settle in for some sports viewing in the sunshine state.
Sun & Sounds
If it’s sun and music you are in the mood for, then you are in luck. There are some great music festivals coming up to plan ahead for.
- San Diego’s downtown plays host to The CRSSD Electronic Music Festival March 14 -15. The event is put on by the same folks who put on Coachella and will include three stages and a VIP area. The festival is also located walking distance to the Amtrak station so it’s an easy to make it a car-less getaway from other Southern California destinations.
- Austin is the place to be the music portion of SXSW March 17-22. One of the largest music festivals in the country, festival goers can expect to hear from more than 2,000 performers playing in venues across the city.
- New Orleans hosts its annual Jazz Fest spread over two weekends starting April 24 and ending on May 3. This year’s festival includes some big names in music including Elton John, Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett and more. Take a break in the Big Easy and get some sun while you are there.
Sun & Sips
Nothing goes better with good weather than good food and drink. This winter, head to a warmer climate and take in a food festival. Here are two great ones to choose from.
- South Beach Florida is the place to be for The Food Network & Cooking South Beach Wine & Food Festival help February 19-22. Sample amazing food and drink and see celebrity chefs.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico is where spicy food lovers will head in early March for the National Fiery Foods and BBQ Show. Add a little spice to your winter by heading to to New Mexico March 4-6. Sample everything from salsa to barbecue.