You may have already noticed – HotPads has a whole new look today! Our talented team has been hard at work since the beginning of the year on this new version of HotPads, and we are over-the-moon excited to share it with all of you! In this post you’ll learn why we updated HotPads, what is new, and how and where you can use the new HotPads!
Why We Updated HotPads
HotPads was founded in 2005 by three friends from Notre Dame who were frustrated with finding a new place to live in Washington DC. One had mapping experience through his time at Lockheed Martin, so they decided to build the first map-based housing search engine. Launched in 2005, HotPads hit with a splash. Here’s a screenshot of the original homepage:
HotPads was cutting edge in 2005. But fast forward nine years, and our brand needed a bit of love.
Today, that is exactly what happened.
The bulk of the changes are cosmetic. We’ve streamlined the design to make it more modern and stressed the importance of finding a new rental apartment or home on mobile.
Not only does our site work and look better on desktop, it has also undergone a full transition where it works better on mobile than on desktop. As we have watched mobile trends and traffic over the last few years, we have seen that more and more of you are finding places to live using your phone instead of your laptop or personal computer.
Besides the new logo and look and feel of the site, we’ve also added or improved the following:
- Rent Zestimates on every property so you can gauge if a listing is a good deal
- Date Available for listings posted from Postlets.com, which means you can see when a place is available instead of asking the landlord
- Easily view your Favorited listings
- Google Streetview incorporated into every listing page
- One click click-to-call on mobile devices
- Responsive design so you get the same great experience across desktop and mobile alongside our updated iOS and Android native apps
- Cleaned up Advanced Search filters to help you narrow down your search quicker
We’ve Gone Mobile
HotPads now works seamlessly across your mobile devices. We have worked long and hard to ensure that your experience on your phones and tablets is the same great experience you get on your desktop. We’ve even gone a step further than that and thought about what makes mobile special as a platform. While we have not yet been able to realize everything we want to build for mobile, this launch is an important step towards where we want to be.
Here is the new look you can expect across mobile web:
Have A Play!
We hope you enjoy the new HotPads. We’re super excited about it.