Guide for Moving Into Your New Home
Moving into a new place is an exciting time, but don't forget these important steps before you move in!
60 days before you move
- Dispose of all excess belongings you have that you are not going to take with you to your new home. This will make the actual move more manageable and less stressful. Consider having a garage sale or donating belongings that someone could use.
- Examine how much stuff you have and determine the most practical way to move your belongings. If you have a lot to move, especially large furniture, start researching moving services to help out.
- Begin the packing process as soon as you know you are moving. This will help keep you from feeling overwhelmed closer to moving day. Start with belongings you know you won't need and work from there. Decide what rooms in your new home will serve which purpose, and box and label your belongings accordingly.
- Contact painters, carpenters, roofers, plumbers, locksmiths, or anyone else who may need to get your new home ready before you move in.
30 days before you move
- Make a list of all services you need to cancel (phone, electric, newspaper, etc). Each day, plan to call one of these service providers to let them know your intentions of moving. Also, list anyone else who may need to know that you are moving such as creditors. Start this list early on so you don't remember something important last minute. You'll be busy with other things.
- Obtain medical, and ask for referrals if you are moving far away.
- Transfer school records.
- If you are moving out of state, prepare auto registration for transfer
- If you are moving in or out of an apartment, arrange for use of the service elevator.
- Obtain and fill out post office change-of-address cards.