Not everybody is in college or lives like they are.
It will make your life easier if you are considerate of your neighbors from the beginning. You don't have to bake them a bunt cake, but refraining from playing thrash guitar at 5am, would help. The less considerate you are, the more likely you are to have a bad living experience and/or deal with the "authorities." And remember, too many complaints could result in your eviction, or at least the refusal of extending your lease.
Here are some tips that will make everyone's lives easier:
- When you move in go next door and introduce yourself to the neighbors
- Find out their schedules (you might not want to have a party on Monday night if they have to get up at 5 on Tuesday)
- Give them your number and ask them to call you if they have a complaint.
- Keep the outside of your house clean. If your yard looks like a jungle and your garbage has been pilling up for months, your neighbors might get annoyed.
- Keep the volume down! If you can hear it from the sidewalk, they will probably complain. If you share a common wall, like a townhouse, the volume can be a bigger issue.
- Let them know ahead of time if you are going to have a big party. A phrase like "Do you mind if?" usually comes across better than "Yo, I'm having this rager?"
- Remember when your mom used to say, "Treat others the way you would like to be treated?" Well, if you don't mind if someone plays the bongos in their yard until 5 am, then this saying should be, "Treat others the way you would like to explain to the cops you treated them."
Use your common sense and be respectful of others around you and you will have a much more positive living experience.